www.latina-latino.com

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Re: (CS4U) Advent

Oh, man, hard question for me, LuAnn.  Not because I know nothing about Advent, but because it is so tied up with my upbringing; so much so that I
have tried to bar it from anything I do that is related to my celebration of
Christ's birth.
 
Advent is the anticipation, the awaiting of, the arrival of Christ. 
 
Some families have an Advent Calendar that opens to reveal an ornament, a gift, or a verse related to Christmas each day.  We had them when I was a kid. 
 
Some families have an Advent Wreath centerpiece with 4 or 5 candles.  Each Sunday, beginning with the First Sunday of Advent, a candle is lit:  The first Sunday 1 candle; the second Sunday that candle and a new candle, until all 4 are lit.  If there is a 5th candle, then on Christmas morning all 4 candles are lit first, then the 5th one.
 
Any celebration or commemoration of Advent should be Christ-centered.  I guess that's why I have personal objections to Advent calendars...because they are usually gift-centered and speak nothing of Christ's birth.  Altho they can be used to re-inforce that we are awaiting the arrival of The Greatest Gift.
 
pk
 
 
 
-------Original Message-------
 
Date: 11/28/2010 10:41:13 PM
Subject: (CS4U) Advent
 
Today is the first day of Advent.  Advent is something I never paid
attention to, until now.  It is coming alive to me and I want to know
all about it. If anyone has good sources of info on Advent, please
share.  thanks.
 
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Christian_Singles_4U" group.
To post to this group, send email to christian_singles_4u@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to christian_singles_4u+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/christian_singles_4u?hl=en.
 

No comments: